I’m incredibly thankful for the recognition I’ve received from a variety of media outlets for my work. A sampling of interviews and coverage is below.
If you’d like to reach out and learn more about what I’m up to lately, contact me at hi[at]ericaswallow[dot]com.
- Innovate Arkansas: News of my new role as VP of Product at Noble Impact was first scooped on the blog of Innovate Arkansas, a program partnership between the Arkansas Economic Development Commission and Winrock International that aims to encourage technology-based innovations and create jobs in Arkansas.
- Talk Business & Politics: Leading up to July 4th, I was featured among a list of Arkansas entrepreneurs regarding my thoughts on the relationship between entrepreneurship and Independence Day. I focused my comments around the notion that while America is a diverse nation, we should seek to cultivate leadership that reflects our eclectic, but ultimately shared, values.
- ABC News: KAIT8, my family’s local ABC News channel, covered the Indiegogo campaign my mother and I ran which raised funds to donate food to the NEA Humane Society. My mother, Sheri Lyn Stotts, was interviewed for the nightly news’ “GR8 JOB!!” segment. We were happy to spread the word about the shelter and hope it inspires others to give!
- The Wall Street Journal: I appeared on WSJ Live to discuss the gender gap in the venture capital industry.
- Bloomberg Businessweek: Bloomberg covered my encounters with sexism in venture capital, focusing on how the venture firm I interned at reacted to my initial blog post.
- Beta Boston: I was deemed one of “Boston’s badass tech women” by the Boston Globe’s tech site, Beta Boston.
- Xconomy: After speaking out on sexism in venture capital and commenting on how the community had reacted to my original blog post, Xconomy reported on how discussion of gender bias was progressing as a result of my actions.
- The Huffington Post: Motivated to move the conversation of female entrepreneurship forward, I spoke with Jillian Berman for her Huffington Post piece about the realities of raising venture capital as a female founder.
- The Wall Street Journal: After writing about my experience as a female intern at a venture capital firm, my story sparked headlines across the web, including this piece in the WSJ.
- The Grommet: Jules Pieri, co-founder and CEO of The Grommet, blogged about her reaction to my experiences as a female associate in venture capital.
- Arkansas Business: I visited my home state of Arkansas to judge the first-ever High School Startup Weekend, alongside Seattle Seahawks defensive end Greg Scruggs and Enstitute co-founder Shaila Ittycheria. More than 80 students participated, building startup plans and demos that could likely turn into real businesses.
- Paragould Daily Press: My mother and I made the front page of our local newspaper twice during the 2014 holidays for running a successful Indiegogo campaign that raised funds to donate 2 tons of food, along with other goods, to the local Humane Society Shelter. Mars Petcare, makers of Pedigree and Whiskas, got involved along with 28 generous funders. We were incredibly thankful! Plus, my mother ended up adopting a pup she fell in love with during the donation delivery!
- Cafeglobe: I crafted a makeshift standing desk during my summer internship at General Catalyst, and with one tweet, it made it onto the Japanese news site, Cafeglobe. Oh, the powers of the Internetz.
- 15Five: Featured alongside visionaries Larry Page, Bill Gates, and Brad Feld, among others, I was quoted in 15Five’s e-book, “The Little Book of Workplace Wisdom: 101 Leadership Lessons You Can Actually Use.”
- The Huffington Post: Hirespaces founder and Huffpo Tech blogger, Reuben Sagar, reviewed my Udemy course on Startup PR, which he deemed “a business saver” of a course.
- The Next Web: In its coverage of Udemy’s Teach2013 campaign that aims to encourage “every expert in the world to teach the next generation,” The Next Web pointed to me as one of a few “interesting instructors” teaching courses with Udemy. I teach a course on Startup PR.
- Mashable: While serving as director of community at technology startup Contently, I experimented with the company’s social media strategy, figuring out which types of posts gained the most traction. I found that office photos pulled in 400% more engagement than other types of posts on Facebook, for example. This post looks at how I and others use our smartphones for company photography. The post was also published on American Express OPEN Forum.
- Go Mighty: I was honored and humbled to be one of 31 women interviewed and highlighted for Go Mighty’s 31 Days of Inspiring Women project. My life is all about curiosity, passion, and dreaming big. I was excited to share my story with the amazing team behind Go Mighty.
- Clarity: I contributed my thoughts on the most valuable lessons learned through entrepreneurship, alongside 22 other startup founders, including Foundry Group co-founder Brad Feld and Technorati founder David Sifry.
- BlogWorld: I was featured within the “Brilliant Bloggers” series on BlogWorld’s New Media Expo Blog, where they pointed out my post on “5 Ways Startups Are Using Vine.”
- Fox News 5: Hair done high and sequins everywhere, I was interviewed at the 2013 Webutante Ball for a Fox 5 clip that aired during the 10 o’clock evening news.
- Fox News: Technology is supposed to connect us, but it can sometimes leave us feeling ignored if we don’t receive instant responses. I was interviewed by a Fox News reporter regarding the oh-so-common ‘no response’ in the world of texting.
- MuckRack: Journalist Brittany VanBibber interviewed me about the art of freelancing, focusing on my top tips for social media and financial success as a freelance writer.
- B2B Twitterer of the Year Awards: I was chosen as the 2012 B2B Business Journalist of the Year, as voted on by my fellow Twitter users and an esteemed panel of judges.
- Gigaverse: Interviewed on how to make it as a freelancer or consultant extraordinaire, I spoke with Gigaverse about my tips of the trade, as well as why I decided to attend business school while I’m founding a startup.
- Clarity: For my strengths in startup PR and digital marketing, I was chosen as Clarity’s “Bossome Expert of the Week.” Bossome, as it turns out, is when something is both boss and awesome. Simply honored!
- Northwestern University: I was interviewed by the staff at the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University to discuss how marketing and analytical skills come into play for journalists. The interview was documented in a brochure about life at journalism school.
- CEO Blog Nation: I was featured in a story about how entrepreneurs rebel in the workplace and buck the norm. My secret is being myself.
- Volusion: I won Volusion’s TechCrunch Disrupt Twitter contest, with a prize of $1,000, by answering the question of what inspires me to create, with this tweet.
- Aiellejai White Paper: My work was cited in a white paper entitled, “Blindsided! Why the Rapid Pace of Social Media Communication and Measurement is Leaving PR agencies Behind.”
- Business2Community: In 2012, I spoke about brand journalism at SXSW, offering up a definition of the term and speaking about what it means for the worlds of marketing and journalism. I’m honored to say that more than a year later, the definition is still making its rounds. Let’s hope it lives on.
- Biznology: Writing on the topic of brand journalism, Jon Greer evoked my definition of “brand journalism,” as discussed on a 2012 SXSW panel.
- Alltop: Alltop’s Holy Kaw blog, which focuses on curated content that the editorial team deems “interesting,” picked up my Mashable piece about how to perfect a startup pitch. The post was promoted multiple times via founder Guy Kawasaki’s 1.2 million-strong Twitter account.
- PR Tips for Startups:Interviewed by journalist Chikodi Chima, I discussed public relations tips for first-time entrepreneurs on his podcast series focused on educating startup founders about the worlds of PR and media.
- YouTube Podcast: Interviewed by Tyler Moore, a YouTube guru with more than 50,000 subscribers, I spoke about PR for startups and how to get started with contacting journalists when you’re founding an early-stage company.
- The New York Times: Gene Marks, of The New York Times’ You’re the Boss blog, referenced my Forbes interview with GateGuru CEO Dan Gellert in the blog’s weekly small business news roundup.
- Forbes: Forbes staffer Meghan Casserly referenced an article I posted about Pinterest in her own article about using Pinterest for job hunting.
- NASDAQ: NASDAQ picked up my Forbes’ post on the numbers behind the sharing economy and posted about it on its Tumblr blog.
- The Content Marketeer: I was featured on a list of “25 Journalists in Content Marketing.”
- Mashable: My Contently writing portfolio was featured on Mashable to showcase Contently’s new Portfolio+ product, which empowers journalists with data and tools for showcasing their work.
- Travel Weekly: Senior Editor Johanna Jainchill of Travel Weekly interviewed me on my top social media tips for travel agents.
- NPR’s All Things Considered: I was interviewed for a piece on Mattel’s social media marketing campaign that celebrated the reunion of Barbie and Ken, America’s iconic doll couple.
- prTini: Heather Whaling, founder of Geben Communications and prTini blogger, interviewed me about my advice for PR pros hoping to increase their success rates when pitching tech reporters.
- PR Daily: A controversial piece on PR pitch phrases that I hate made its round on the Internet and even landed in PR Daily.
- DigitalFlash: I helped inspire 35 girls from the East Harlem Young Women’s Leadership School during an interactive day camp about women in tech.
- PRWeek Insider: Digital media strategist Rob Longert referred to my post on reverse mentorship while discussing the two-way street that is PR mentoring.
- The New York Times: A Mashable post that I wrote on five small business predictions for 2011 was mentioned on The Times’ You’re the Boss small business blog.
- Mediabistro: I was quoted in a piece covering the Hackers and Founders “PR for Startups” chat, explaining that founders just sound more compelling than publicists via email.
- Hackers and Founders: I spoke on a panel about “Demystifying PR for Startups,” lending my advice as a journalist.
- WOMMA: I spoke on a panel about the state of social media marketing at the 2010 Word of Mouth Marketing Association Summit in Las Vegas. Check out this live blog of the event for details.
- Yahoo! Advertising Blog: My Mashable post on “5 Big Brands That Are Rocking the Social Media Space” was picked up by Yahoo’s advertising blog as a notable piece of “ad news and views from around the web.”
- Česká Televize Milénium: After speaking at the Social Marketers Summit in Prague, I was interviewed alongside fellow new media specialists by Jiří Václavek, host of Czech news show Milénium, which covers science, technology and modern living. We discussed the future of social media. Česká Televize is the largest news station in the Czech Republic, comparable to CNN’s popularity in the United States.
- Ekonomika ČT24: I was interviewed for Ekonomika, a show about economics on Česká Televize, the Czech Rebublic’s largest news station, about the revenue models employed by social media sites. (Fast forward for at sound bite at 14:15).
- Marketing & Media: I was interviewed about the future of location-based marketing and social media for Marketing & Media, one of the top marketing publications in the Czech Republic.
- Lupa: My presentation at the Social Marketers Summit was well-received by the audience and media.
- Social Marketers Summit: I spoke at the Social Marketers Summit in Prague on ten emerging social platforms and how businesses can use them. My presentation was mentioned by Tomáš Hodboď on Česká Televize here.
- Mediabistro: I was interviewed on strategies for finding jobs in the digital marketing field.
- Social Media Brasil: I spoke at Social Media Brasil, the largest social media conference in Brazil, on crucial social media tips for traditional media.
- MediaPost: Kelly Samardak was the first to report that I would be leaving The New York Times to join Mashable as a features editorial assistant.
- Blogs.com: I was quoted on Blogs.com regarding a piece I wrote about privacy rights for suspected criminals after Faisal Shazhad’s Orkut and Facebook photos were used by national news outlets to identify him as the Times Square bomber.
- NYTimes.com: I was featured on The New York Times SxSW Twitter list along with 60 other dynamic tweeters attending and tweeting about the conference.
- Invoke Media: I video-blogged with Invoke Media during SxSW Interactive.
- CNN: During Good Riddance Day 2010 in Times Square, I bid farewell to being uninsured and doing homework, in hopes that 2010 would bring a full-time job with benefits, as I am a recent NYU Stern graduate (2009)!
- Gilman Scholarship: As a 2006 Gilman Scholar, I was interviewed about my study abroad experience in Shanghai, China. Here’s the interview transcript.
- DMNews: A few teammates and I won the John Caples Student Campaign of the Year Award in 2009. We created YouTube and Facebook pages for our Pentel Recycology campaign, along with multiple commercials. Our story was also picked up by College News, The Marketing Blog, and Lit Up!.
- CosmoGirl Blog: During the summer of 2008, I was chosen from a pool of over 3,000 applicants as the CosmoGirl Project 2024 Advertising Intern, where I blogged about my internship on the Saatchi & Saatchi’s Olay Design Team where I led a team in creating an ad campaign for China Care Foundation.
- China Care Newsletter: I was featured in a China Care Foundation newsletter for managing a pro bono advertising project and getting a donated China Care ad placed in CosmoGirl magazine. I also won the Outstanding Leadership Award that year as President of NYU China Care.
- Epoch Times: I was interviewed by the Epoch Times newspaper during the NYU Chinese Mei Society’s Yuan Fashion Show. All proceeds for the show benefited China Care Foundation.
- IMUSE 2008: I was a runner-up for the 2008 “China in My Eyes” photography contest.
- Washington Square News: I was interviewed by WSN for my leadership in NYU China Care during Social Justice Week 2008.
- Our Town NY: I was interviewed by journalist Patty Lee about my study abroad experience in China.
- Continental Magazine: I was interviewed by Continental Magazine about my study abroad experience in China and future plans involving the country.
- NYU in Shanghai Guide: I was the Guide Lead for the NYU in Shanghai guide. The first few editions of the guide were largely composed of my pictures, stories, and anecdotes. I also contributed to the Women’s Study Abroad guide.
- NYU Stern Global Study Brochure: I appeared and was quoted in this brochure.
- NYU Stern Dean’s Honor Roll List: It’s always good to make good grades!