T-Shirt Quilts: Staying Warm With Memories

6 Mar

Over the years, I’ve accumulated hundreds of t-shirts. Last year, I had the bright idea of turning them into t-shirt quilts. There are many quilters that focus on making t-shirt quilts — it turns out that it’s a big market, especially around graduation and winter holiday times.

After gathering all of my shirts together and separating them into categories, I researched about 10-15 t-shirt quilters online. I settled on T-Shirt-Quilts.com, which is owned by Blue Ribbon Quilt Co.

Co-owner Linda Lawson worked with me to choose quilt sizes, t-shirt order and material colors for the quilts. In the end, I settled on having four quilts made for distinct parts of my life: social media, travel, New York University and Paragould High School. Take a look at the quilts below and let me know what you think!

I put my social media swag to great use with this t-shirt quilt.

The largest quilt I ordered fits on a queen-sized bed and contains 36 t-shirts from my NYU days.

I used 30 of my high school t-shirts for this full-sized quilt.

While I’ve been to many more places than the ones represented on this quilt, I wanted to have a travel quilt made that focused on orange. Ta da!

About these ads

15 Responses to “T-Shirt Quilts: Staying Warm With Memories”

1. Ladies & Girly December 7, 2013 at 3:39 am #

good idea to make full use of old tshirts.

2. custom tshirts December 6, 2013 at 4:44 am #

It is amazing how many shirts people save. Some are really worn out.

3. Leslie Champion June 13, 2013 at 11:17 pm #

Thanks for posting your review! You’ve helped ease my mind on which company to use for my daughters’ t-shirt quilts. (Awesome blog, too!)

• Erica Swallow June 13, 2013 at 11:30 pm #

You’re welcome, Leslie! I’m sure she’s going to love them! Mine are still absolutely beautiful. A little stiff, but I’m hoping that will wash out. Honestly, I haven’t had to wash them much, because they’re mostly for guests and when I get super cold in winters. :) Best wishes!!

4. Ali October 13, 2011 at 11:53 am #

Great idea. My husband has stacks of old Ts from our travels I have a hard time getting rid of. This is better than turning them into dust rags! Also this is a great idea for my dad’s 70th using kids and grandkids old Ts.

• ericaswallow October 13, 2011 at 1:09 pm #

Yeah, it’s a great way to turn those old shirts into something that’s actually usable. Go for it!

5. patty sims August 31, 2011 at 5:38 pm #

I have been making these quilts for 3 years. It is amazing how many shirts people save. Some are really worn out. I can fit a lot of shirts on one quilt by cutting the logo out and sewing them together. This idea is catching on.

6. Lydia May 3, 2011 at 4:16 pm #

I’m VERY impressed with all of the shirts that you saved. Totally inspiring. Finally, I’ll having something to d with all of my old band shirts. ;)

7. Tawnya March 31, 2011 at 10:49 am #

As a geek, I’m totally drooling over the social media quilt. Great idea!

• ericaswallow May 3, 2011 at 4:35 pm #

Admittedly, it’s my favorite one, although it reminds me of work. :)

8. mariakucinski March 23, 2011 at 2:55 pm #

Such a great idea! Especially love the Plum Island T-shirt on your travel quilt! <3

9. Gabby Miller March 9, 2011 at 2:31 am #

I used a quilting company in New York called stitch’T for my T-shirt quilt. I had a terrific experience as well. Your swag quilt came out great.

10. Brian March 8, 2011 at 4:54 am #

I *LOVE* this idea! Very cool!